Can I freeze whey?

Made ricotta cheese this morning, and planned to use the whey in baking. However, the advent of labor for my daughter puts paid to my breadbaking plans! Can I freeze whey? I've done so....but can always chunk it, depending on your advice. Won't be any breadbaking in my house for a week or so!

• Posted by: Kayb
  • February 27, 2011

aargersi February 27, 2011

I don't see why not ... nothing structurally that would get messed up

pierino February 27, 2011

Freezing whey would be like freezing milk or freezing cheese. Not a really good idea.

chef_ub
chef_ub February 27, 2011

Yes, definitely. I freeze it every time I make ricotta. How can you possibly use several pints of whey all at once? It will keep refrigerated for a few days if you are planning to bake with it in a day or so. Otherwise freeze it in a covered container allowing for some expansion room in the container, and write the date on a piece of painters tape and stick it to the container. Thaw it as needed and re-freeze any left over. Of course, freezing anything is not open-ended preservation- I would recommend using it within 6 weeks. And incidentally, milk freezes well too.

prettyPeas
prettyPeas February 27, 2011

This should be just fine for whey--freezing can alter the structure of fat globules in milk, but the whey fraction is mostly just water and whey proteins.

innoabrd
innoabrd February 28, 2011

To heck with the whey, congratulations!