🔕 🔔

Can I freeze whey?

Made ricotta cheese this morning, and planned to use the whey in baking. However, the advent of labor for my daughter puts paid to my breadbaking plans! Can I freeze whey? I've done so....but can always chunk it, depending on your advice. Won't be any breadbaking in my house for a week or so!

asked by Kayb about 7 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I don't see why not ... nothing structurally that would get messed up

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Freezing whey would be like freezing milk or freezing cheese. Not a really good idea.

3480f90a 7f3c 4800 9922 20e968c11a46  20kb

Yes, definitely. I freeze it every time I make ricotta. How can you possibly use several pints of whey all at once? It will keep refrigerated for a few days if you are planning to bake with it in a day or so. Otherwise freeze it in a covered container allowing for some expansion room in the container, and write the date on a piece of painters tape and stick it to the container. Thaw it as needed and re-freeze any left over. Of course, freezing anything is not open-ended preservation- I would recommend using it within 6 weeks. And incidentally, milk freezes well too.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

This should be just fine for whey--freezing can alter the structure of fat globules in milk, but the whey fraction is mostly just water and whey proteins.

To heck with the whey, congratulations!