Can I freeze whey?

Made ricotta cheese this morning, and planned to use the whey in baking. However, the advent of labor for my daughter puts paid to my breadbaking plans! Can I freeze whey? I've done so....but can always chunk it, depending on your advice. Won't be any breadbaking in my house for a week or so!

asked by Kayb over 7 years ago

I don't see why not ... nothing structurally that would get messed up

Freezing whey would be like freezing milk or freezing cheese. Not a really good idea.

chef_ub

Yes, definitely. I freeze it every time I make ricotta. How can you possibly use several pints of whey all at once? It will keep refrigerated for a few days if you are planning to bake with it in a day or so. Otherwise freeze it in a covered container allowing for some expansion room in the container, and write the date on a piece of painters tape and stick it to the container. Thaw it as needed and re-freeze any left over. Of course, freezing anything is not open-ended preservation- I would recommend using it within 6 weeks. And incidentally, milk freezes well too.

prettyPeas

This should be just fine for whey--freezing can alter the structure of fat globules in milk, but the whey fraction is mostly just water and whey proteins.

innoabrd

To heck with the whey, congratulations!