What is a good replacement for Crisco?

A family soda bread recipe calls for Crisco. Is there a more natural or healthy replacement?

Christine
Christine March 16, 2013

I use the Spectrum organic vegetable shortening when I make biscuits and some pastry. It works really well and has a nice, not chemical flavor.

ChefOno
ChefOno March 16, 2013

You can leave it out; it's neither traditional nor necessary. Or sub butter or lard (the fat's melting point isn't of any consequence in such an application).

This may be of interest: www.sodabread.info

spiffypaws
spiffypaws March 16, 2013

I've never made soda bread, but if you sub butter for crisco in your recipe, crisco is 100% fat while butter contains 14-18% water.

pierino March 16, 2013

I'm in the lard camp. Believe me, when my grandmother was making soda bread back on the old sod they'd never heard of Crisco. And I don't think she'd ever heard of a town south of Galway.

Pegeen March 17, 2013

I believe the Atlantic ocean is south of Galway - one of the best cities in Ireland. No wonder you're scrappy. :-)

threefresheggs
threefresheggs March 17, 2013

Crisco was developed as a substitute for lard. So if you eat meat, lard is the obvious choice. 25+ years veg, I have recently been having great success with coconut oil as a substitute for lard and it's impostors.

Jestei
Jestei March 17, 2013

I second spectrum. Really good.

Pegeen March 17, 2013

As a lard substitution in other recipes (but not lard in soda bread), I've also used Spectrum with good results. As Pierino mentions, lard is not a common ingredient in a traditional soda bread recipe.