🔕 🔔

Recipe contest

I find I really don't like the new page-oriented format for submissions to the current contest. Previously, it was very easy, interesting, and user-friendly to scroll through all entries. The page-oriented format discourages that, especially as submissions aggregate. I get to one or two pages, then I'm done. Just saying.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I so agree!!

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I never looked at the recipe submissions page before, but having done so just now, all I can say is that I am sooooooooo looking forward to amassing a whole bunch of new recipes using fennel!

I have to say, I agree with this as well. I was wondering if it was done to generate additional clicks.

I don't know what the reasoning is behind it, but I am certainly impressed, more so in this layout than the prior ones, how great so many of the photos look. Of course, the subject matter of this contest lends itself to that. Following up on what ATG117 says, more page views do make a difference. My law practice has been largely focused on internet deals since the late 90's, many of which involve business terms pegged to web traffic. I can tell you without violating any confidences that as a general rule, you would be utterly shocked at how little is paid for impression advertising (i.e., page views). I mean, it is just unbelievable. This website's business model seems to be based primarily on its content. No one here pays a penny for the privilege of enjoying the FOOD52 content every day, sharing with and learning from the community, etc. I say, whatever helps FOOD52 survive is just fine by me. I may not love certain features of the user interface from an aesthetic perspective, but if they make even a small difference in the revenue generated, great. Do it. ;o)

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

however, aj, i feel like so many of the newly entered recipes don't have photos included at all. your best cheap feast was like a tsunami of picture-less photos. i find it less interesting to scroll through those w/o pics especially in this new format which takes forever and tamps my enthusiasm.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

Agree with AJ 100%. My opinion is its their site, responsible for revenue streams to employ the content, contributors, and sponsors of the contests - free, to us! A little less attitude and a little more gratitude comes to mind. However, the food52 has always been responsive to opinions and recommendations from the community. If you've been a member on the site long enough, you realize that there have been transitions within the organization on the technical and functionality side. It's insulting to me (and to them - very PIERNO-ISH)not to send complaints to the editors directly rather than post on the hotline. On a much positive note, as of 3 days ago, my auto correct works on the site - yeah (after not working on this site for 1 1/2 years!) Also, maneuvering around the site and overall functionality has improved so much. Keep up the good work food52! As a community, we are not privee to the internal workings and financial backing of the site, lets be patient and kind.

I understand what you're saying, AntoniaJames, but I'm hoping there's a happy medium out there somewhere.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

i agree 100% w/ the OP. I do NOT like this new format;hope they'll change it.

I try to refrain from engaging in personal banter on hotline, but I feel compelled to say that I think it unfair for people to be speaking negatively about certain community members.

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

I wish others would refrain from engaging banter on the hotline as well. I should know better having been on the receiving end and read others being taunted. However, I do apologize for the immature and unnecessary snarky comment.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I am not sure how Cynthia's declarative statement transited to the content posted above, but I feel she is entitled to state her opinion openly, and I do not see how it is insulting to the editors. The editors encourage us to post comments on each others' recipes and I have read many comments both pro and con on many cooks' entries. I do not see how open commenting, as long as it is not snarky, is anything but helpful to the editors. As community members, we all recognize that the technical composition of this site is an evolving work in progress.

As to snark, when a snarky comment is posted, it can be hard to "rise above", and I certainly have made a few snarky retorts in my time here. But I do not see how anything on this original post can be construed as insulting or snarky.

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

The response had nothing to do with Cynthia, Bevi. It was my reference to Pierno.

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Amen, Cynthia. IMO, the old format was user-friendly, this new change not as much.

RE: this website, business aspects aside for the moment - community cooks are a big part of why this site works, why it