The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

Green chickpeas?

I just rinsed some chickpeas that I left to soak while I was at work. Half of them are slightly green. They don't smell, should I cook them or toss them? They were soaking about 8 hours and were brought in bulk from a store with a high turnover. And they weren't green this morning

asked by Sweets about 4 years ago

Chick peas start out green before they are dried--yours are probably fine. Chick peas can vary in color--I bought back some black chick peas from Italy, where they are a heritage vegetable.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

They're perfectly fine, they probably got dried before they fully ripened to a creamy color. In fact the smaller Indian variety of chickpeas are available in both brown & green colors. The Fatter ones that we see in cans are referred to as 'Kabuli' channa to differentiate them from the smaller variety.