Faced with the classic "one loves it, the other hates it" dilemma with respect to goat cheese, as I plan to make these mashed potatoes:

I'm thinking about dividing the recipe so that I put goat cheese in one pot, and ricotta or sour cream in the other. What do you think? Any adjustments necessary? Thank you so much, and happy T-Day, everyone! ;o)

Sally
Sally November 24, 2010

I think you would just need to cut the goat cheese in half. Make the potatoes as directed, put half aside for the haters, and add goat cheese to the lovers. Sounds wonderful!

Sally
Sally November 24, 2010

I meant, to the goat cheese lovers' half of the potatoes :)

Plum Pie
Plum Pie November 24, 2010

While not quite as "fancy", a little bit of softened cream cheese also makes delicious mashed potatoes for those that don't like goat cheese.

campagnes
campagnes November 24, 2010

As a goat cheese hater, I thank you for accommodating us. :) I agree with the cream cheese suggestion. A little boursin cheese would be delicious, too.

usuba dashi
usuba dashi November 24, 2010

Vermont Butter & Cream makes a fantastic goat cheese, very mild that even goat cheese haters will like. Looks like ricotta, though I can't remember what they call it. Try them

Jon Palmer
Jon Palmer November 24, 2010

I don't think any adjustments would be necessary at all. I imagine an equal volume of ricotta in the non-goat cheese mashed potatoes would produce an equally delicious result (at least for one who does not prefer goat cheese).