A question about a recipe: Basil-Vodka Gimlet

I have a question about the recipe "Basil-Vodka Gimlet" from Oui, Chef. Does the muddler really shred the basil like this? I'm trying to determine if I made this wrong, or if you've modified the picture from the actual recipe for asthetics. Should I "muddle" more?

• Posted by: Angel
  • March 27, 2013
4b798000 1eb3 42ca b5be 04a6e5394e8c  basil vodka gimlet
Recipe question for: Basil-Vodka Gimlet

petitbleu
petitbleu March 28, 2013

I wouldn't worry too much about the cosmetic appearance of the drink, as long as you're happy with the flavor. Generally, you don't want to absolutely pound the ingredients to be muddled with your muddler, but rather, press down on it and twist. As you can see from one of the recent Hotline posts regarding the Citrus-Thyme Macaroons by Dr. Babs, sometimes when the Food52 crew tests and photographs a recipe developed by a Food52 member, their results look different than the original. Not necessarily a problem, just a result of the testing, styling, and photography.

ChefOno
ChefOno March 28, 2013

The goal of muddling is to release essential oils from the target ingredient. It doesn't take much to accomplish the task. Overdoing it with an herb will introduce chlorophyll and other undesirable flavors to the drink -- not to mention the creation of little green bits that get stuck to your teeth. The referenced recipe and the photo above do not seem to correlate.

dymnyno
dymnyno March 28, 2013

Don't worry about muddling...just enough to love the flavor. A little muddling goes a long ways.