🔕 🔔

Ok you scientists out there. How do I keep Popsicles frozen in a cooler longer?

I'm trying to keep Popsicles frozen longer in a cooler for about 4 hours in the heat opening and closing multiple times. I'm using dry ice, but would it help to use regular ice in addition?

asked by aebart2181 over 3 years ago

Can you get a second cooler, dedicated to the popsicles? I would pack some ice in ziplock bags to supplement the dry ice and keep the cooler closed until you need the popsicles.

In honor of Professr Blais (haha), freeze to order... with liquid nitrogen.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Knowing heat moves toward cold and not the other way around like we often imagine:

What if we drilled a number of small holes in your cooler and then placed three absorbent objects, say a sponge, a cloth towel and a roll of paper towels inside. If we sunk the cooler in a swimming pool, water would slowly leak in and all three items would begin to absorb the liquid. Once they became saturated, the cooler would fill completely whereupon all action would cease. Although the objects chosen could be of different sizes and materials, absorb water at different rates and hold different amounts, they would all become equally soaked eventually.

So, yes.

The thermal energy of the different objects are added together in the equation like if you dropped a hot rock and a really hot rock into a glass of cold water.

Gravity: Opening the lid of the cooler might not be as big a factor as you think. Cold air, being denser and therefore heavier than the surrounding air, will tend to stay in the cooler just as water tends to remain in a bucket. You may be able to see this effect if the air is humid enough to fog when cooled by the dry ice. The lack of lids on your local grocery store's chest refrigerators and freezers are a good example of the principle.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I would approach it in layers. Layer of ice- Layer of popsickles-Repeat...The less you have to rumage in there or move things around, the better. Also, if you have an outdoors store nearby(or have enough to time to order online)you can get one of those thin insulating survival "blankets" (they look a lot like pliable tin foil)cut it and layer that in between the ice-popsickle layers if you want to get really technical. That should retain up to 90% of the temperature on either side.

*popsicles (Editors: Pease bring the edit button back, thank you)

0236a64a 6089 48f7 8ce6 5b790ad33fd9  0605111238

If these are the type of popsicles you make in those freezer molds, can you set the mold inside a larger plastic container, fill that container up with water and (carefully) set that in the freezer to form a large ice block around the popsicle molds. The heat would melt that ice first? I'm not this type of scientist, and I am not sure this is a practical idea, but it's simple.