Ok you scientists out there. How do I keep Popsicles frozen in a cooler longer?

I'm trying to keep Popsicles frozen longer in a cooler for about 4 hours in the heat opening and closing multiple times. I'm using dry ice, but would it help to use regular ice in addition?

Maedl April 10, 2013

Can you get a second cooler, dedicated to the popsicles? I would pack some ice in ziplock bags to supplement the dry ice and keep the cooler closed until you need the popsicles.

FutureChef
FutureChef April 10, 2013

In honor of Professr Blais (haha), freeze to order... with liquid nitrogen.

j.collins
j.collins December 4, 2017

no that wont work for me

ChefOno
ChefOno April 10, 2013

Knowing heat moves toward cold and not the other way around like we often imagine:

What if we drilled a number of small holes in your cooler and then placed three absorbent objects, say a sponge, a cloth towel and a roll of paper towels inside. If we sunk the cooler in a swimming pool, water would slowly leak in and all three items would begin to absorb the liquid. Once they became saturated, the cooler would fill completely whereupon all action would cease. Although the objects chosen could be of different sizes and materials, absorb water at different rates and hold different amounts, they would all become equally soaked eventually.

So, yes.

ChefOno
ChefOno April 10, 2013

The thermal energy of the different objects are added together in the equation like if you dropped a hot rock and a really hot rock into a glass of cold water.

Gravity: Opening the lid of the cooler might not be as big a factor as you think. Cold air, being denser and therefore heavier than the surrounding air, will tend to stay in the cooler just as water tends to remain in a bucket. You may be able to see this effect if the air is humid enough to fog when cooled by the dry ice. The lack of lids on your local grocery store's chest refrigerators and freezers are a good example of the principle.

Droplet
Droplet April 11, 2013

I would approach it in layers. Layer of ice- Layer of popsickles-Repeat...The less you have to rumage in there or move things around, the better. Also, if you have an outdoors store nearby(or have enough to time to order online)you can get one of those thin insulating survival "blankets" (they look a lot like pliable tin foil)cut it and layer that in between the ice-popsickle layers if you want to get really technical. That should retain up to 90% of the temperature on either side.

Droplet
Droplet April 11, 2013

*popsicles (Editors: Pease bring the edit button back, thank you)

Raquelita
Raquelita April 13, 2013

If these are the type of popsicles you make in those freezer molds, can you set the mold inside a larger plastic container, fill that container up with water and (carefully) set that in the freezer to form a large ice block around the popsicle molds. The heat would melt that ice first? I'm not this type of scientist, and I am not sure this is a practical idea, but it's simple.

CK
CK July 6, 2017

All you need is dry ice. I used dry ice to keep ice cream frozen for 6 hours. I also used it for week long camping trips to keep meats frozen. Don't add regular ice since the water will cause your dry ice to melt faster.

j.collins
j.collins December 4, 2017

i think you ned somthing cold and i need to know how to keep a popsicle frozen for 6 hours no ice, electricity or an outside colling method

Cheryl Turner
Cheryl Turner May 22, 2018

Yes, the dry ice worked great! I put 2 boxes of popsicles
In a small cooler with a block of dry ice from Kroger and took them for the kids after their baseball game. About 4 hours later, I passed them out still frozen solid!