🔕 🔔

Can i thicken royal icing in to a dough?

I want to thicken royal icing to make it in to a doughy consistency. If I do this does it ruin the icing? Will it still dry or will it not set at all? I want to use it to make thin curls and wrap them around a toothpick for some decorations I'm making for a cake. I heard that fondant icing takes a while to dry and I assumed this would be better because royal Icing sets quicker. It may sound like a silly question but I'm an amateur baker still trying to learn the ropes, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to icings, fondants, buttercreams. Some advice would be much appreciated!!

asked by Hati 6 days ago

I don't know that you can make royal icing into a dough that you can shape. It does not have gelatin or a stabilizer that would give it flexibility (so that it can be rolled or hand shaped). It's ideal if you are piping intricate designs. I've heard the opposite about fondant: it can dry out fairly quickly. Lots of terminology. But I think your best bet is rolled fondant. You can always make your curls and decorations ahead of time, let it set up, and use later to decorate your cake.

http://www.chatelaine.com...

I don't think the royal icing would work that way, but if you want something that would dry faster than fondant, you could try gum paste. It tends to dry faster (and will be very hard/crispy when it does). Otherwise, you could knead some extra gum powder (Tylose powder) to fondant; that would also stiffen it up and help it dry out a bit faster.