Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

cheese with no animal rennet

I need to know which cheese uses vegetable based rennet.

asked by Em over 3 years ago
0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Kosher or pareve cheese does not contain rennin, nor does cheese specifically labelled vegetarian. Also, paneer is one cheese that uses no rennet.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Here is an extensive list of cheeses and cheese farms that use vegetarian rennet:
http://cheese.about.com...

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

More and more, labels are being changed to reflect the type of rennet used, and more and more cheese producers are using vegetarian rennet to appease their customers. Vegetarian rennet is made from a fungus, Mucor miehei.
Many cheese makers will use vegetarian rennet for soft, un-aged or bloomy rind cheeses but will use animal rennet for hard, aged cheeses. This is because veg rennet may cause bitterness in long-aged cheeses.
In any case, you should be able to ask a cheesemonger at a decent cheese shop or at a supermarket with a good cheese counter. They should be able to tell you.

I buy much of my cheese at Whole Foods and all I need to do is look at the labels. I bought fresh mozarella yesterday and had a choice of mozzarella made with Jersey cows' milk and veg rennent or non- specific cows' milk and regular rennet. I choose the Jersey version, not because of the rennet but for the Jersey milk.Nice to know what I am buying!