Has anyone ever made hi-hat cupcakes with homemade marshmallow fluff instead of 7-min icing? Does it work or is the fluff too soft?

I want to make interesting flavors of hi-hat cupcakes without making the filling too heavy and overwhelming so I was thinking of making flavored fluff but don't want to have a melty disaster on my hands.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon April 17, 2013

I have made a number of kinds of marshmallow topping for many kinds of cakes and cupcakes. If you want a stiffer marshmallow you can increase amount of gelatin or temperature of sugar.

hardlikearmour April 17, 2013

I've made marshmallow buttercream for a s'mores cake that I think would work well. I literally just googled "marshmallow buttercream" and picked a recipe when I did it, and it worked fine.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee April 17, 2013

When I want stiffer marshmallow, I just add more gelatin at the beginning with hot water to soften it. Then I add the hot sugar/eggwhite mixture and beat the daylights out of it.