Art opening edibles

Our custom furniture shop is participating in the spring art tour this weekend and I'd like to put out some easy edibles. I am usually great at making recommendations to others, but in the interest of not over doing it (as I did last year), I figured I'd ask the community. Here are the parameters....

We never know how many people we will get as we are on the outer fringe of the district so I don't want lots of things in case only our family shows up :)

This being spring in Denver, it could be hot or snow.

I have a fridge and can replenish, but don't want to bother with heating.

I don't want to put in too too much time before or during.

We will have several growlers of beer from the various breweries in our neighborhood.

Our clientele is pretty high end so I'd like something good, but I am not aiming to impress with super fanciness.

Go!

sdebrango May 6, 2013

Fig and blue cheese savouries http://food52.com/recipes...- They are delicous!

savorthis
savorthis May 6, 2013

These have always looked so good. I will give 'em a go!

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake May 6, 2013
ChefJune May 6, 2013

Will y ou have waiters passing some of the appys, or will it all be spread out on a table, buffet style?

savorthis
savorthis May 6, 2013

This makes me laugh because it is a woodwork/welding shop so it will be spread out, most likely, on a giant slab of wood. Unless I can get our welder to don an apron...other than his welding apron...which also makes me laugh. So definitely a 'help yourself' affair.

drbabs May 6, 2013

The savories are great and very easy. There was a contest of "open house food;" I love the cocoa pear crisps that were runners up if you can still get pears. http://food52.com/contests...

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen May 6, 2013

These chevre devils are delicious and fairly quick and easy: http://food52.com/recipes....

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen May 6, 2013

Oh, and these, which I made recently and couldn't be easier if you do them with smoked salmon instead of making gravlax:
http://food52.com/recipes....

both these and the chevre devils were tasty later on as leftovers too!

ChefJune May 6, 2013

Yes there really is an abundance of creative appys on this site you can choose from!

HalfPint May 6, 2013

Blinis topped with a dab of creme fraiche, salmon caviar, and a spinkling of chopped chives. You can use cucumber slices in place of the blini and it will still be fancy looking, as well as inexpensive and easy to assemble.

Jana McMahon
Jana McMahon May 6, 2013

I pipe a mixture of cream chz, blue chz & chopped fresh rosemary on to dried apricots. You can do it ahead and refill with ease.

Jana McMahon
Jana McMahon May 6, 2013

Oh yes, I forgot. I top the blue chz apricots with an almond. Smoked salted ones are particularly good.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen May 6, 2013

one more for you, but this requires some baguette slices

http://food52.com/recipes...

savorthis
savorthis May 7, 2013

Ooh- we used to do a smoked trout canape with horseradish cream and fig preserves....definitely a contender!

aargersi May 7, 2013

Are you OK with folks dipping things up themselves? I am a big fan of a vat of pate then alongside some dishes with capers, cornichon, nice mustard, chopped boiled egg, chopped onion. I make this:

http://food52.com/recipes...

And if they're dipping anyhow, you could do a lemony white bean dip as well. And maybe some marinated chopped up asparagus.

savorthis
savorthis May 7, 2013

I love the idea of a "vat" of pate. I do not mind the self service. Last time I made a rainbow of dips : cuminy carrot, garlic white bean, lemon edamame etc. It worked well but it was a little much in preparation. I think I will settle on a dip/spread or two and maybe a smoked fish platter with various accoutrements...

amysarah May 7, 2013

Having attended many open studio events and openings over the years, I can say for sure that anything you offer beyond cheap wine and bland cubes of cheese will be much appreciated! (Even at fairly high end one!) All the appetizer suggestions look great - you don't say what time of day, but assuming guests will show up throughout the afternoon and/or evening, I'd also add a few sweets to your savory line up - plates of homemade cookies, brownies cut small, whatever you like to bake.

savorthis
savorthis May 7, 2013

Ha. I agree. I used to work at an art gallery and was just getting into cooking more and was pretty appalled to see everyone wolfing things down without a thought. Agree on the sweets. I was going to make these mini doughnuts this weekend depending on timing, but the dulce de leche cheesecake squares above look pretty good too. The tour itself is 12-5 then everyone will end up at a couple of the larger venues for an after party. I'm considering a crock pot of queso too since I just made a vat of chorizo...not so fancy but who can resist a pot of melted cheese?

ChefJune May 7, 2013

Here's another goodie - Scallop Mousse - you can make in one large mold or I like to make them in mini Madeleine pans so they come out in individual little scallop shells.

ChefJune May 7, 2013

oops, I forgot the link to the recipe! http://food52.com/recipes...

aargersi May 7, 2013

Pot brownies. With actual pot. Loosen up the crowd and the purse strings :-)

savorthis
savorthis May 7, 2013

Heh. It is legal here and we ARE amidst several grow houses here in RiNo....In fact High Times had some massive pot party a few blocks from here on the 20th. There were military helicopters circling all day. Kinda eerie. I think we'll stick to the craft beers.

Sam1148 May 7, 2013

Charcuterie plate with cheeses, gherkins, and good olives. (crackers, and mustard).
A couple of quiches (one with ham and spinach, another with just asparagus) served with a some easy bagged mixed salad in a vinaigrette. The precooked boiled shrimp on ice and cocktail sauce.
Fruits, wine and beer. Fall back plan: you'll have sandwich meat,
quiche and shrimp left over (keep a spare bag in the freezer for quick defrosting is lots show up--and some extra fancy crackers and cheese)