Hiw to 'juice' an herb like Thyme?

I have a lot of thyme and instead of it going to waste, I thought I could juice it and use it to finish off dishes. I've seen videos of Noma where a dish is topped with a green rampion sauce or thyme juice or even a grass 'soup' and for the life of me, I'm not sure how they juice these herbs and grasses. Thoughts or recipes?

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich May 10, 2013

What a great idea! Since thyme is a woody herb, I'd strip the leaves off the stems. Juice and then freeze in ice cube trays. Store in the freezer in plastic bags.

petitbleu
petitbleu May 12, 2013

I know that you can get an attachment for the KitchenAid mixer that is supposed to be used for juicing/pulverizing tomatoes or other fleshy produce. But I did see a YouTube video where someone was using this attachment for juicing wheatgrass, so I can only imagine it would be great for herbs. I would strip off any woody stalks, though. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that the modernist cuisine types are using a centrifuge to clarify the herb juice, but this is mostly for presentation--you won't need that (and whoo boy are they expensive!).

pierino May 14, 2013

I bet Wiley Dufresne has one ;-).

dymnyno
dymnyno May 14, 2013

Why not make a pesto out of your bounty of thyme?