🔕 🔔

Hiw to 'juice' an herb like Thyme?

I have a lot of thyme and instead of it going to waste, I thought I could juice it and use it to finish off dishes. I've seen videos of Noma where a dish is topped with a green rampion sauce or thyme juice or even a grass 'soup' and for the life of me, I'm not sure how they juice these herbs and grasses. Thoughts or recipes?

asked by jondotli over 4 years ago

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

What a great idea! Since thyme is a woody herb, I'd strip the leaves off the stems. Juice and then freeze in ice cube trays. Store in the freezer in plastic bags.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I know that you can get an attachment for the KitchenAid mixer that is supposed to be used for juicing/pulverizing tomatoes or other fleshy produce. But I did see a YouTube video where someone was using this attachment for juicing wheatgrass, so I can only imagine it would be great for herbs. I would strip off any woody stalks, though. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that the modernist cuisine types are using a centrifuge to clarify the herb juice, but this is mostly for presentation--you won't need that (and whoo boy are they expensive!).

I bet Wiley Dufresne has one ;-).

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

Why not make a pesto out of your bounty of thyme?