A question about a recipe: Ginger Shallot Broccoli

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I have a question about the recipe "Ginger Shallot Broccoli" from Jennifer Ann. Having trouble squeezing ginger juice. Any tips?

asked by Jan Goren over 5 years ago

Do you have a lime or lemon squeezer? I grate the ginger on the large side of my box grater then press it in a citrus squeezer. There is a kitchen hack on this site that is similar but she hand squeezes it - I just find it works a bit better for me in the lime thingy.

Summer of Eggplant

This was the winner of your best kitchen hack as I recall. Does anyone know where that could be found?

former Community Editor

Here it is! http://food52.com/blog...

dymnyno

Maybe try a garlic press, if you have one.

Your best bet is a Ginger Grater: A ceramic or metal device with little teeth. Some even have a collection trough at the bottom; but gather up the ground bits and squeeze them well to get all the juice. (you could use that tech with a microplane).
Most Asian stores will have those or online sources.

dymnyno

Yes! I forgot that I have one...it is shaped like a little fish and has little "teeth" in the center. It is great for grating , but I'm not sure about juicing.

Panfusine

Try using a wasabi grater, the fish shaped one that dymnyno mentioned. it really mushes up the ginger well and extract the maximum possible juice.
I always leave the juice to stand for about 10 minutes after squeezing before using it. There is a layer of a fine white starchy powder that gets left behind that I discard after draining the top liquid. (the general consensus from traditional granndmother's wisdom was that it was not good to ingest it, Don't ask me why, don't know..)

Posted today as a feature article, http://food52.com/blog...

JMaxine

I use a garlic press.Most of the pulp stays in the press and the juice flows through.

sstalnaker

Grate the ginger finely using either a box grater or a ginger grater. Place the pulp in a thin cloth napking, or even an old but clean handkercheif and twist the loose ends closed forming a small ball of pulp. By twisting the loose end tighter you'll be able to wring a surprising amount of juice from the pulp. Make sure to use really fresh ginger. If your ginger is shrivled you won't get much juice.

Cecilia Height

I have a small vegetable juicer and use that to juice my ginger. It saves a step of squeezing it after.