🔕 🔔

Help i made carrot ginger soup for our first course today and forgot to put the pot in the fridge before going to bed. Woke up at 4a and put it away. It has butter and chicken stock in it Can we eat it today if i give it a good boil? Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

asked by LizC almost 7 years ago

0fba04f9 a324 4cb9 9471 7f46b8a23679  stringio

It's not the butter I'd worry about, but the chicken stock would make me hesitant to serve it. How frustrating! I've done that a few times myself.

5f73e544 157c 472a 8f91 40a7c47948b4  photo on 2010 06 16 at 22.06 4

I'd eat it - but my kitchen is cold at night. Unless you have an Aga in there or live in a really warm climate I think it'll be OK

I just don't choose to serve other people in these cases. If there is any bacteria present it will have multiplied happily. Sometimes the bacteria is killed and sometimes the waste products from them are toxic and not killed. If it was only me, I might bring to a boil and simmer 15 min.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

Yeah - I agree with those who are warning you. As frustrating as it is to toss a dish out - that soup is a fertile growing medium for wee nasty beasties. Less frustrating to throw it out than run the risk of poisoning your entire family. :-(

If it was only me - like nutcakes says, I'd bring the soup to a simmer for a minute or two and eat it.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

What time did you finish making it? That may be the key, because it must cool anyway before you can refrigerate it.