🔕 🔔

Is it true that using olive oil will take out meat flavor?

asked by Nigi almost 2 years ago

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio

WHat? No.

After I told my parent in laws about olive oil that brings good flavor in ground beef. Father in law seemed interested. Then they visited me and told my husband in front of me that olive oil does nothing but suck out flavor of meat flavor.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Who are you going to listen to? Your in-laws or your own taste buds?

You make the call.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Olive oil can vary from lightly flavored to very pungent (even slightly bitter.) It sounds like they probably used too assertive an OO to cook a delicately flavored meat - like chicken breast or some veal, or whatever low flavor cut. Possibly they used a really strong EVOO...I'm tempted to say a cheap one, though price isn't always an indication of flavor with olive oil. (If they're used to cooking with a very neutral oil, it probably seemed even more overwhelming.)

I would have to agree with previous answers. It won't take the flavor out, but if the meat lacks flavor and they get a strong OO, it will potentially overpower the meat.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I just want to point out that saying that strong EVOO has the potential to overpower delicately flavored meat" is a far cry from saying that "all it does is suck the flavor out of meat." The first statement is accurate; the second one is incorrect (not to mention hyperbolic).

Kristen, I was assuming the "suck the flavor out of meat" phrasing wasn't literal, rather exaggerated semantics for effect - her in laws' way of emphasizing that the OO drowned out/overwhelmed the flavor of the meat. (A rather creative one, I think! ;) Along the lines of calling a chilly room an "icebox," or a fatty dessert "a heart attack on a plate," and so on.

Oops, forgot...or saying of someone with a big blustering personality, "he sucks the air out of the room."

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Amysarah, you very well may be right! It's sometimes hard to tell in writing; I read it literally but I see what you mean.

Thanks for your answers, guys! I really appreciate it. I only want to prove what he said wasn't correct.