Buttermilk Ramp Biscuits?

How does buttermilk ramp biscuits sound? Would the garliky flavor of ramps not go well with a biscuit?

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles June 3, 2013

Essentially any Allium type plant will go well with biscuits. Ramps? Yes. Scapes? Yes. Shallots/Garlic/Scallions/Spring Onions/Vidalia Onions/Maui Onions/Chives. You name it. You can layer it in a biscuit (with good to amazing results).

nievesrichardj
nievesrichardj June 4, 2013

Thank you for your answer and I got some information I didn't know. Thank you again!

Maedl June 3, 2013

Sounds delectable to me, too. But ramp season is over--where will you find them?

nievesrichardj
nievesrichardj June 4, 2013

I hadn't realized ramp season was over when I asked this question. I need to keep up on the seasons lol.

meganvt01
meganvt01 June 4, 2013

Yes! Here is a great recipe. http://food52.com/recipes...

Maedl June 5, 2013

Ramps are extremely ephemeral--they only last two or three weeks in early spring. It won't have quite the same flavor, but you could use chives, or perhaps chives and another herb such as dill. As long as you don't mess with the butter, flour, liquid ratio in the dough, you can be creative with the seasoning component.

In Germany, we have practically the same plant as ramps growing wild in the woods. It is called Bärlauch, bear's leeks, and according to folk tradition, bears seek it out for their first food when they wake from winter hibernation. It always tickles me to think of bears walking around with ramps breath.