How to make Khoresh Sabzi without meat?

I love khoresh sabzi, but sometimes I want to make it vegetarian. I've had veg versions that have been great. Any tips for a meatles khoresh sabzi?

asked by Rivka over 5 years ago

Louisa Shafia

Hey Rivka! In my book, I have a recipe for khoresh sabzi, aka ghormeh sabzi, aka green herb and kidney bean stew. I use tofu that's been frozen, then thawed and baked, to give it a meaty, toothsome texture, and it works really well. If you don't want to bother with all that, I would just make it as is, the kidney beans are a great protein, and then top it with fried/caramelized onions. There's so much flavor in the dish, I think it's a great one to make without meat.

Rivka

Thanks Louisa! Great to know. I'll check it out.

krusher

Loving your work in preserving and celebrating your heritage and your food. Fantastic. Thanks.

Louisa Shafia

Thank you krusher, that is so kind!