🔕 🔔

Sjccorcor...sounds ambitious, maybe even too much to manage well on first time. Yes bechamel and bolognese are trad sauces. Look to Marcella Hazan for a great trad recipe. She uses beef, but you may find other recipes using other meat. My recommendation - don't learn how to make noodles now, if you're just mastering the sauces and the whole production. Use good quality dry or fresh purchased from a deli/food shop. Most cooke & drain noodles before assembly, but good results also come with using uncooked noodles and added a little more liquid to help them bake to doneness. I would avoid garlic bread with a pasta main dish, but that's a questions of taste. Plenty of good Italian red out there at all price points for you to try. Maybe 2 varieties at table, to compare. Trad Italian meals also end with fruit, cookies and a sweet wine. Make your life easier - learn tiramisu or homemade gelato another time. Big tip - don't do so much new that you're tired, nervous, worried. Make a good decent meal with enough energy left to enjoy your friends and the evening. Here's Marcella's recipe. http://www.epicurious.com... & have a wonderful evening!

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

This Bolognese (meat-based) lasagna recipe is easy and delicious. I've probably made it at least 10x. What I like about it is that there is no ricotta. You would need to double or triple the recipe to serve your guests and if want leftovers. Do a test run exactly as wriiten and read all the comments. Fool-proof way to prepare is to use 2 8x8 pans. This can be made and baked the day before if kept the refrigerator then warmed in the oven. Here it is: https://food52.com/recipes...

Emiko Davies has an Italian-centric recipe column for desserts, mains, sides - you may want to search for her recipes on this site.

There are so many versions of lasagna I enjoy and its hard to pin down one but the one above is tried and true to me and satisfies my lasagna cravings!

Also, search for garlic bread.

Cf72275c fff5 4c3d 91ff b486112ca91a  stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

Here's a whole article I wrote several years ago for Saveur about lasagna bolognese, the classic dish from Bologna: http://www.saveur.com/article... You'll find a couple of different recipes in the article but Anna Nanni's is the most classic. Anna is (or at least she was) the pasta + ragu maker at a wonderful restaurant called da Amerigo, in Savigno, just outside Bologna. Worth a visit too.

Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Sorry! This is the correct link for that Saveur article I mentioned: http://www.saveur.com/article...

Ec434f76 2da2 4c18 8b68 23b82beab718  fb avatar

First things first in my opinion lasagna has become a staple in my house.
I'll post my recipe today for you to see
Bolognese sauce with a béchamel sauce is by far the best. I'm not sure when your planning the dinner

Makiing homemade pasta is fun, messy and very rewarding. That said, lasagne is not a dish I would make the noodles for. A good dried lasagne noodle will work just fine. (Probably 98% of all lasagne makers use dried pasta.) I always purchase imported Italian pasta, and there are many good brands. DeCecco is probably the most widely available.
Since it's your first time making it, I'd go with a recipe that has lots of explanation included. Nancy Harmon Jenkins' recipe that she linked to in this thread would be a good one, as would Marcella Hazan's.

Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Interesting comment, June, and it reflects a discussion I've been having with my daughter Sara as we prepare a book about pasta. Sara (chef at Porsena in NYC) says she would NEVER countenance using anything but freshly made pasta, and I say, hmm, there are times when it's just too much trouble. I do agree that the finest result comes from silky hand-made pasta butbutbut, there are times indeed when life's too short and you just have to make do.

Spoken like a chef, not a home cook.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Here are my several cents' worth!
1) I am on team dried pasta - pick you challenges and don't take them all on the first time
2) sauce - there's no rule that says you can't have both! Why not a tomato layer at the bottom of the pan, then noodles, cheeses and meats (more on that) then béchamel, then noodles then red sauce? Or top with béchamel - something along those lines. One thing I have learned over time is to use more sauce than initially looks necessary - the noodles will soak some up, and you want it to shine through in the dish (well, I like a lot of sauce anyhow)
3) meats: you could use a combination of grounds meat(s) (say beef and veal or pork) and/or - add some loose Italian sausage in with the meat. In any case, cook it in advance, don't put raw meat in the lasagna (this being your first go at it - that bit may not be obvious at the outset)
4) cheese - YES to ricotta and mozzarella, and I will also usually add parmesan, you might also consider asiago, pecorino, etc. Do you have a cheese person that you like at your grocery? I rely heavily on my cheese guy and my wine guy!
5) WINE - well the main answer is yes. Consider having both reds and whites (some folks don't like one or the other no matter what) Villa Anitori is a readily available, not too expensive and reliable producer. But if you have a wine guy or gal - ask them for help!
6) The Other Stuff - garlic bread and salad are sound accompaniments and the idea of a purchased dessert sounds like a good one - again - pick where your efforts will be directed and really shine. I like to make a compound (REALLY compound) butter with garlic, parmesan, fresh parsley, pepper, maybe red pepper flakes, and schmear that on a halved Italian loaf and let it toast up in the oven while the lasagna rests.

Good luck and report back!

I make everything myself, but the first lasagna I ever made was stoufers. I moved up from there. One step at a time. I only found a recipe for pasta that me an my 3 yr old can make together.
On the other hand I totally agree with this post.
from aagresi