A question about a recipe: Spicy Lacto-fermented Pear Chutney

57aca272 ee9b 4063 aeed ae5e6943c892  pearchutney

I have a question about the recipe "Spicy Lacto-fermented Pear Chutney" from WinnieAb. Do the nuts actually help the fermentation or are they just here for texture?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

former Community Editor

I'm sorry you haven't gotten an answer to your question yet. You could always try sending a message to WinnieAb too!

IlovePhilly

You don't need the nuts for fermentation! It's the lactic acid bacteria on the fruit that will make this happen.
I've found that oily things (nuts, avocados, etc) can be an added challenge in fermenting, because they oxidize and rise to the surface whether you want them to or not!
Good luck!