I bought TERRIBLE tasting veggue protein powder -- shake suggestions?

We're usually rushing and not hungry in the morning, so my son and I drink breakfast shakes. Today the brand I usually buy wasn't available, and I thought I'd save some money on a less expensive brand. It's 'vanilla' flavored...and terrible. Any suggestions for making quinoa/rice/amaranth/millet powder palatable?

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Add some nut butter to the shake like almond butter or peanut butter...it will help mask the flavor and also make it thicker and yummier :)

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Use sun butter for a nut-free version. It's made from sunflower seeds.

HalfPint June 24, 2013

I find sweetness is often a remedy for terrible tasting anything. So maybe add some honey, agave nectar, maple syrup. Or mix with a fruit juice like orange, pineapple. Or add some fruit, like a ripe banana (frozen will work even better). These things often help to mask the terrible-ness of off-flavors, so that you can at least chug the shake.

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake June 24, 2013

OO put it in oatmeal, or a frozen banana, with almond milk and pumpkin makes a good guilt free icecream post work out snack

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake June 24, 2013
http://food52.com/recipes... I make these to keep on hand as a snack. Replace the water with your choice of milk

Voted the Best Reply!

ChefJune June 24, 2013

I would probably toss it and start over. I've found if the base tastes bad, it takes way too much work to make it even decent. Especially if the problem is too much sweetness.

jilhil
jilhil June 24, 2013

If HalfPint is right about the lack of sweetness you can also try adding some cocoa powder with the sweetener to change the flavor. But, life is really too short to have bad tasting breakfasts - taking it back to the store where you bought it is the easiest way to get rid of the stuff. Any truly responsible manufacturer wants to know about it when someone hates their product

Kirstin Stokes Smith

Jihil, you raise a really excellent point. Thank you! :)

boulangere June 24, 2013

I had a similar experience with a vegetable (largely legume)-based one I bought at my local natural foods store with their strong endorsement. The nutrition profile looked fantastic on paper. NOthing made it palatable. Ground up green chalk would have tasted better. I returned it and received a full refund.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick June 24, 2013

I agree with Jilhil and Boulangere --return it to the store.

boulangere June 24, 2013

It was over years ago, CBC, and I swear that just the thought of the stuff gives me shivers. And I tried EVERYthing to make it palatable. On second thought, I'd just as soon eat ground-up cement.

Kirstin Stokes Smith

:D har!

Kirstin Stokes Smith

:D har!

Bevi
Bevi June 25, 2013

This happened to me recently when my favorite protein powder was out of stock at WFM. I agree with all who recommend a toss. Use the container to store small change!

MaddyBelle
MaddyBelle June 25, 2013

Try adding a shot of espresso- complete breakfast and will mask some of the flavor.

susan g June 26, 2013

Ground cloves!

susan g June 26, 2013

Is it possible that the powder has gone rancid? That would demand returning the product.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick June 26, 2013

Even if it isn't rancid, if you think it tastes terrible, you should return it for a refund. Most stores will stand behind what they sell and will want to know when a customer is dissatisfied.