A question about a recipe: Sausage and Kale Dinner Tart

E1aa65ba 7917 4f98 86ec 05080af4fb17  052411f 480

I have a question about the recipe "Sausage and Kale Dinner Tart" from My Pantry Shelf. Lightening up the crust

asked by meganvt01 over 5 years ago

meganvt01

My question didn't really get posted - I adore this tart but as a regular staple i'd prefer less butter or I'd like to make the crust more healthy. I can handle the whole wheat sub but what about the butter? Can I make any other adjustments to make it a bit more healthy? Thanks!

prandial

Would you be willing to lose the crust altogether? You could adapt the recipe much like a crustless quiche -- experimenting with adding more eggs and some breadcrumbs. I'm interested, too, in what other people have to say.

Stephanie G

You could also go with a yeasted crust. Deborah Madison has one in her book Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. You could google yeasted tart dough if frittata style isn't appealing.

How about using several layers of phyllo, brushed with a little melted butter? There is still butter (or you can use a good olive oil), but it's not as much as the tart crust.

Hilarybee

I have a kale and quinoa quiche recipe, no crust. Just add sausage and use the cheeses of your choice. http://food52.com/recipes...

Sadassa_Ulna

This piecrust recipe is surprisingly good, but I am not sure if it would work with whole wheat flour. I bet half oil, half butter with half white, half ww work well.
http://food52.com/recipes...