How to season mortar and pestle?

My daughter game me a mortar and pestle as a gift. It weighs about 15 pounds and is granite (I think). The instructions say use salt and/or white rice to season it - rinsing in water until the water comes clear - over a period of several days. When I googled, the instructions were varied and included using spices and garlic. Would appreciate any advice on this. Love this gift and want to make sure I season it correctly. :)

asked by SKK about 5 years ago

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I've never heard of seasoning a granite mortar & pestle! (This is not to say it shouldn't/couldn't be done...) I got a large granite one 10+ years ago and have ground up a variety of herbs, spices, garlic, pastes, etc in it. It's stayed in great shape for me.

Is it a green one...granite with some bits of mill dust in the bowl?

I've had a few...never used the rice trick...but just salt and oil and rinsing not even thinking it was 'seasoning' just get getting out some milling dust.

Thanks, petitbleu. Yes it must be a molcajete. I have been using rice and kosher salt. It is taking a while to get the grit out. I will also use some whole cumin seed, because one article said to do that, just for the fun of it.

dymnyno

My vineyard manager made me a molcajete which is made out of volcanic rock. I used the rice method.

mensaque

Granite is a igneous(volcanic)rock,and rice and salt sound right.As for cleaning,my great-grandmother had a tip:coke.(Coca-cola,not coke leaves...LOL),but that was for polished marble and granite.Not sure if it works on rough material.