How do you Season a clay pot or tagine?

I hauled a handmade clay tangine back from Tangiers - the man who sold it to me in the market indicated I should season it with oil before using it. It is unglazed. I am thinking or rubbing it with olive oil and putting it in the oven at 150 for a few hours. Does that sound right?

• Posted by: lloreen
  • June 29, 2013

sdebrango June 29, 2013

Here is a link on how to season a unglazed tagine it's really interesting!
http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/tipsandtechniques/ht/Season_Tagine.htm

pierino June 29, 2013

This is going to sound wierd but I have a lot experience with earthenware. First soak the base overnight in water. Then cut a clove of garlic in half and rub the underside of the base with that. Add some water and white vinegar to the base and bring it to a simmer, preferably over a flame tamer. You can add olive oil if you like. Let that evaporate almost completely and you should be okay. Earthenware is fired at extremely hot temperatures and will crack if not properly tempered before use---and unglazed tagines are especially tricky that's why it needs that water bath.