For a 4th of July picnic: should I make cranberry and apple cake or slab pie?

I love the cake and have made it successfully several times (Ina Garten's recipe); have never made the pie but am not unconfident. Mostly worried about random friends' tastes. Do people sometimes hate cranberries?

asked by brescia about 5 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

The pie!! It's so good (and not that difficult), and is super seasonal. I'm a little biased, but man do I love that pie.

Slab pie was a universal hit at our office, but the cake sounds like it would be too! I don't think you can go wrong.

brescia

Thank you—now I'm leaning towards the pie!

Marian Bull

Slab pie!!

lbs70

Apple pie is iconic...

As delicious as cranberry apple cake sounds, it strikes me as more of a fall/winter thing - perfect for Thanksgiving! When I think 4th of July, I tend to think: pie, berries. cherries, peaches, plums....so I'd go for the slab. Mmmmm, pie (anyone catch the ref to the early '70's movie, 'Bad Company'? Nope, just me then.