🔕 🔔

Cranberry Port Gelee

Good morning everyone! Happy Thanksgiving! So I love the Canal House's Cranberry Port Gelee and I've made it the last couple of years in lieu of traditional cranberry sauce. I made it yesterday evening and when I took it out of the fridge this morning it hadn't set up very much - still entirely too liquid-y (although delicious - I stirred some in my morning yogurt). Any hope of salvage or do I have to start over?

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

asked over 1 year ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Hi Rachael! What a bummer. I just had a similar conversation with @lastnightsdinner on Twitter last night. A few ideas came up: a) cook it down further, then chill it again b) cook more cranberries to add in or even add some apple for more pectin c) rebrand it as syrup or saucy sauce.

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Thanks Kristen! You all weren't kidding about that 10 minutes or less thing. Impressive!

7c06bfa6 dcc3 4ae2 b256 5c89e09648ca  2017 0309 samantha james ransom 242 1
Samantha Weiss Hills

Samantha is Food52's Partnerships Editor.

Good morning Rachael! Happy Thanksgiving. Sorry to hear this about your gelee -- but you aren't alone. Others have had some issues with the setting (here: https://food52.com/blog...). Kristen mentions in the comments that if you want to try it again, you can simmer it a bit harder/longer, or be extra aggressive with pulp—mashing (only skins and spices should be left behind).

Have a look at the comments on the recipe...others have had your problem (not jelling) and solved it by cooking longer and/or squeezing last bits out of the solids. Probably too late to do that.
Options: add more cranberries, which will give it a thicker not-necessarily-jelled texture.
Experiment (depending on when you plan to eat, if you're a jam maker and have pectin around) by reheating, adding pectin, chilling.
Serve as is, calling it a sauce not a jelly.