What to do with tons of fresh lavender?

I just picked a bunch of wonderful English lavender from a farm in Long Island. I'm not sure if I should dry it and wait to use it then, or if there is something tasty I can incorporate it into while it's still fresh. I was thinking cookies, cakes, muffins, creams, etc... Thank you in advance for any advice!

asked by Kristi over 5 years ago

Chopped finely, it's a really nice addition to shortbread.

Rachel Gaffney

I just picked mine a few weeks ago. I dried it in my closet on a hanger .Using it for cooking

Kristi

How did you do that? I'm trying to figure out an easy way to dry it without my cat being able to find it, haha.

petitbleu

I would definitely dry it and then use it. The infused honey is a great idea. You could add it to a variety of baked goods (I think lavender and buckwheat are a great combo, so maybe buckwheat shortbread with lavender) as well as to tea or ice cream. You could use the flowers to flavor sugar by simply rubbing sugar and lavender together or just letting them sit in a jar together until the sugar absorbs the lavender essence.

Kristi

I'm going to try this; do you think this would work for stevia too?

petitbleu

Oh, and I bet lemonade would be awesome with some lavender in it.

stagneskitchen

Lavender infuses into butter really well. Melt some butter with lavender, then strain and use it in brownies. Or heat some oil with lavender and cracked pepper for a nice finishing flavor. I've also used lavender in preserves.

Gabriella

Love the honey and shortbread idea. I also love doing the same thing as with the honey using olive oil, it tastes great for roasting and sauteeing vegetables. Perhaps lavender lemonade might appeal too?

Kristi

Lavender/mint lemonade is definitely on my list.

I'm guessing that you're not referring to literal tons here, but rather an abundance. Lucky you! Here is a bread I developed for a friend's new restaurant:
http://food52.com/recipes...

Kristi

This looks great, I'll have to try it out! Can I use the fresh buds, or do I have to wait until they are dry?

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

lavender simple syrup is wonderful, too. can turn out with a very nice, subtle violet color. just make simple syrup, add lavender to steep while it's cooling down, then strain.

Kristi

Oh, I like this! Do you know if it goes well in coffee or smoothies of any kind?

andrea lee

Lavender infused ice cream!

Kristi

I don't have an ice cream maker, but maybe I'll invest in one just for this idea. An ice cream shop near me does lavender fig ice cream that is absolutely divine.

lizzyinthekitchen

I had a lavender lemonade recently and it was really good.