Your favorite non-dairy dressing for a classic Cobb salad? Danish blue will be on the side for the non-dairy person. Help!! (Please.) ;o)

Just a standard vinaigrette? My son is making a Cobb for dinner this evening, i.e., in about three hours. Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked about 5 years ago

A vinaigrette is a good non-dairy choice: dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Ratio 1:1:3 for the mustard, vinegar and oil

I'd make a standard red or white wine vinaigrette, with lots of cracked pepper! Can he make two versions and whisk some of the blue cheese right into the dressing for the dairy eaters?

JanetFL

I may be strange but I actually like a Balsamic vinaigrette on Cobb salads.

Stay with the classic dressing. Here it is:
http://spoonful.com/recipes...

For desert: A grape fruit cake is traditional for a cobb salad.
http://www.disneyfoodblog...

Cream cheese doesn't count as dairy in a grapefruit cake right? ;)

thirschfeld

Sam1148 has it nailed down for you.

ATG117

I'd go with a classic red wine vinaigrette mixed with a touch of good honey.

I shake together a 50:50 balsamic and extra virgin olive oil. A little salt and black pepper. Shake in a little mason jar until it emulsifies.

louisez

The attached (I hope) image is a copy of a recipe from my late mother-in-law, which is purportedly the original Brown Derby (orignators of the Cobb salad) recipe. Blue cheese was never part of the dressing, but added to the salad separately. Hope this helps.

Never mind the attaching thing (not working). The recipe is:

1/2 c. red wine
1/2 c. water
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. olive oil

thirschfeld

Sam1148 has got you covered

louisez

I should have added a bit of the story behind the recipe I sent. My mother-in-law got it from a good friend, who was a "chorine" back in the day. She married a wealthy guy, and they hobnobbed at the Brown Derby. She loved their Cobb salad, and requested, and received, the recipe from them -- which was supposed to be secret, and not divulged to the likes of my mother-in-law -- or me. But the two women were great friends -- and thus she had, and I have, the recipe.

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Perhaps this is too late and I have no recipe per se, but I have been subbing tahini into dressings very successfully, recently. Hope it's working out!