Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Hi, I need help with a stirfry meal.

I have bocchoi, spinach, and some mushrooms. Can I mix these all together with some chicken and a couple other vegetables?

What are some other things I should know before I start cooking this?

Thanks!

asked by Tom Hessert over 3 years ago
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

You can definitely mix in chicken and other vegetables - peppers are good. Mince some onions and fresh ginger. Add in some soy sauce or a hot pepper sauce. Important thing is to have all your ingredients ready because stir fry should happen at a high heat and very quickly, especially if you're using a wok. Cut everything into same size pieces, preferably thin.

31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

A stir-fry is a good way to use whatever you have on hand. Just heat some oil and maybe add in some minced garlic if you have it and like it. If your chicken in uncooked, stir-fry that before adding the vegetables. You can make a sauce to thicken your stir-fry by mixing together 2 TBS soy sauce with 1 TBS cornstarch; add this mixture in last. Enjoy!

Have all your ingredients preped and cut first. Cook the vegetables first, being sure not to overcook, leave them al dente. You can add onion and thinly sliced carrot if you have it. Set the vegetables aside and cook the chicken in a little oil, minced garlic and grated ginger if you have it. Return the vegetables to the pot, add your sauce and combine until heated and sauce is thickened. Do you have a plan for your sauce? Do you have on hand chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, hot pepper flakes, optionally oyster sauce? Use a drizzle of cornstarch mixed with equal parts cold water or stock to lightly thicken.

A3b20aea 10f0 4946 98d5 b90402245f4f  open uri20130721 1047 3z6tn6

Nutcakes, I was going to use soy vay's "very very teriaki" for my sauce. Do you think that will work if I do not have enough time to make the sauce from scratch?

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Tom - that sauce is good, but a pretty strong so I might use a little at a time, maybe thin out with a little plain soy sauce to taste. If your chicken is raw, start with that and when it's just cooked take it out of your pan or wok and set aside. I think broccoli would take the longest so that should go in next then the other veggies. Add the chicken back in and the sauce and mix it all together.

Great minds think alike, healthierkitchen! Totally agree!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Personally, I'd forgo the common 'sauce heck out of it with cornstarch an stock' to make a stock for a stir fry.

Just a bit of Oyster Sauce, And use the stock addition for a water frying the veggies to steam them a bit to make up lack of high wok cooking. A tsp of ginger is good to marinate the meats.
Like Ehalthierkitchen said: Try cooking the meats first..removing them..then going back and adding veggies to fullness, and add back in the meats.

I'll add again...I personally think a oyster sauce, black bean sauce, is much perfered than then typical dipping cornstach/stock sauce.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

One other way to thicken the sauce, if you go that route, is to mix together a little soy sauce, sherry (just a TBSP or so) a little water, and a TBSP or two of cornstarch, then toss the chicken in it before cooking. This will help to thicken any sauce you add later and it will also boost the flavor of the chicken.