🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: quick quick sauce

663f3bc3 1e61 40f3 a531 8c2b040db027  img 4799

I have a question about the recipe "quick quick sauce" from mariah. I am a newbie to cooking. Is this what is called a marinara sauce?

asked by SHEILA SCOTT about 4 years ago

Just had a look at that recipe. As simple as Marinara is, that is not one. Real Marinara is simply tomatoes (usually canned, but certainly at this time of year, fresh!)and garlic, slowly cooked together into "submission." Lots of folks call lots of different tomato sauces "Marinara," but my Italian friends who cook/teach cooking for a living all aver that it's just tomatoes and garlic.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

I will slightly disagree with ChefJune. Certainly her description makes a good sauce, but the name itself "marinara" means "sailor sauce". In Napoli that would include a bit of anchovy---barely detectable, but it does a bit of "fondo" or "bottom". I add chopped onion to mine.

31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

If you're looking for a good sauce for pasta, I can recommend this one: http://food52.com/recipes...

I think the recipe is a marinara sauce--which is basically tomatoes, garlic, and herbs. Check some of the old reliable Italian cooking sources to compare the marinara recipes. With Italian cooking (and just about every other ethnic cuisine), there are regional variations. Everyone thinks the recipe from his region (and his Mama!) is the best. Good tomatoes make good sauce. Use the right variety of tomato--one grown for sauces. If fresh tomatoes are out of season, then look for San Marzano tomatoes grown in southern Italy. That will pretty much assure a good sauce.