🔕 🔔

When a baking recipe calls for alcohol does that cook out, like when you cook the wine out of a sauce in a hot pan?

I know when you make sauces or recipes on the stove and it calls for wine or some kind of spirit, the actual alcohol cooks out. But when a baking recpie calls for somthing with alcohal in it does that cook out of the food to? My sister is allergic to alcohol, and there are so many recpies I want to make, but I am afraid of being the death of her by making somthing and the alcohol not cooking out of it. Any help would be AWESOME! Thanks!

asked by Perryskitchen over 5 years ago

You have been misinformed. The alcohol never completely cooks out of any dish, no matter how long you cook it, nor how high the heat you use. Some residue always remains.

This is why, when you are cooking for a person who cannot have alcohol in any amount, it is important that you omit that ingredient, or find a non-alcoholic ingredient to substitute.

Could you give us an example of what you would be making? It would make it much easier to answer your question.

Perryskitchen, here is a link that has a good, comprehensive answer, and a useful reference chart that might be of good use to you: http://www.ochef.com/165.... Hope it helps, and good of you to be so attentive.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Here's a chart about what percent of alcohol remains after different cooking methods: http://homecooking.about...

5922b25c 666d 4eb7 8657 f46e363ffd2c  chickens

Thanks for the help. I guess just to be on the safe side, my sister won't get to enjoy anything I make that calls for alcohol in the recipe. Bummer for her :)

If it's not a lot of alcohol you can just leave the ingredient out. A couple of the baking books I've read have recommended that if you can't use the alcohol that you should just sub a liquid (orange juice or water instead of a couple tablespoons of limoncello for example, or coffee instead of kaluah).
On the other hand if you're making a vodka pie crust recipe that relies heavily on the properties of the alcohol I would find a different recipe.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Here's a list of subs for alcohol for both cooking and baking:

http://whatscookingamerica...

But I agree - there are so many great things to bake that don't involve alcohol, that I'd just go with one of them.

However: vanilla extract is 35% alcohol - i.e., a cake with 1 teaspoon extract contains about 1/3 teaspoon alcohol. If the cake serves 8, that's only 1/24th teaspoon per serving; for 10, 1/30th, etc. But if your sister can't tolerate even trace amounts, make sure to use a vanilla bean, or a non-alcohol based extract. (Btw, there are certain meds where even a trace amount of alcohol can cause a bad reaction, but I don't know if this is the case with allergies too.)

In terms of cooking - I'd avoid a recipe like Coq au Vin, where wine is the predominant flavor; but in recipes where it's just one subtle flavor note amongst others, you can usually sub something non-alcoholic (or just skip it) and it will work out fine.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

She should get the advice of her doctor on this. For some people, it won't be enough to matter - for others, it could be dangerous.