🔕 🔔

What are some opinions on cooking with frozen/ canned artichoke hearts. I feel that they're slightly sour,

Don't get me wrong I'm willing to stand there for an hour turning chokes, but I just wanted some thoughts on what people think of canned frozen chokes

asked by James Durazzo about 4 years ago

Canned do seem sour (and mushy) to me, but I rather like frozen in some applications. Stir fried with a bit of vermouth and finished with butter, they shine. But nothing beats fresh!

30d29d6e ad6b 43d4 877f 543611313cd6  img 7763

Do you think it's possible to mix fresh with frozen? I'm getting ripped off badly on fresh artichokes.

Depends on how you're using them, but you WILL notice the difference between the two. In a seafood stew, for instance, maybe you could mix them. But even in the "recipe" above (vermouth, etc) the texture difference would be obvious. Could you possibly go with all frozen?

I poached 12 fresh ones already, but it's skimpy,I feel that I need more, but I was thinking of adding some asparagus in with the micro balance it out.

They are a bit sour when canned. What I always do is char grilled them, then marinate in olive oul, garlic, rosemary etc.. It just give that extra flavor you're longing for.