What are some opinions on cooking with frozen/ canned artichoke hearts. I feel that they're slightly sour,

Don't get me wrong I'm willing to stand there for an hour turning chokes, but I just wanted some thoughts on what people think of canned frozen chokes

Diane
Diane August 6, 2013

Canned do seem sour (and mushy) to me, but I rather like frozen in some applications. Stir fried with a bit of vermouth and finished with butter, they shine. But nothing beats fresh!

James Durazzo
James Durazzo August 6, 2013

Do you think it's possible to mix fresh with frozen? I'm getting ripped off badly on fresh artichokes.

Diane
Diane August 6, 2013

Depends on how you're using them, but you WILL notice the difference between the two. In a seafood stew, for instance, maybe you could mix them. But even in the "recipe" above (vermouth, etc) the texture difference would be obvious. Could you possibly go with all frozen?

James Durazzo
James Durazzo August 6, 2013

I poached 12 fresh ones already, but it's skimpy,I feel that I need more, but I was thinking of adding some asparagus in with the micro balance it out.

Beatrice,Romeo
Beatrice,Romeo August 7, 2013

They are a bit sour when canned. What I always do is char grilled them, then marinate in olive oul, garlic, rosemary etc.. It just give that extra flavor you're longing for.