Should I use salted or unsalted butter if the recipe doesn't specify?

Unsalted for sure! You can always add salt, can't take it back out though ...

nutcakes

Unsalted for Baking, otherwise I usually use salted because that's what I have more often.

Jon Palmer

I don't remember the last time I bought salted butter. I use unsalted for everything so that I have control over the salt content.

unsalted.

cheater chef

Use what you have around.

unsalted, if you have it on hand.

Soozll

You can use either in baking. Lately, I'm finding I like baking with salted butter better. It only adds a negledgeble amount of salt. Recipes from older cookbooks where the type of butter isn't specified or they give you a choice of butter or margarine, used salted butter because margarine has salt, so the recipe has taken the salt in it into consideration.

phyllis

Sweet (unsalted) always unless recipe specifically asks for salted. You can always add salt.

lallimusic

You should use unsalted, but If you only have salted, subtract 1/4 tsp salt from the recipe or it will be too salty