When a recipe calls for ground pork and I'm going to grind it myself fresh, which cut if pork should I use.

I once tried a pork chop for this and it was dry and bland, maybe because there's not enough fat in this cut?

asked by teddybaehr over 4 years ago

What are you making? The cut depends on knowing if you need a fattier or leaner cut.

Voted the Best Answer!

I would go with shoulder, also known as boston butt.

Declan

Go with pork butt ...
All the way

Definitely shoulder (aka pork butt). You need the fat for flavor and moisture.

You'll need a pork shoulder. Best ratio of lean to fat for ground pork.

Kristian Svennevig

I always use Boston butt/shoulder roast. Using tenderloin doesn't have enough fat. Usually around 20% fat for ground meat is about the right proportion.