🔕 🔔

Pie Dough With Milk Powder

I recently came across a recipe for pie dough that contains milk powder. What function does milk powder serve in this scenario?

asked by petitbleu over 4 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Dunno for sure. I suspect the milk powder will make the pie crust brown up more quickly, though.

4421619e f544 4703 9273 6e95dc123a79  black picture small

According to King Arthur Flour, they add the milk powder to their pie crust recipe to add tenderness ...www.kingarthurflour.com (a thoroughly reliable and tasty piecrust) if you search for it.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Okay, that makes sense. I did think about it helping browning as well, but I've never had trouble getting a pie crust to brown, so I figured it had to be more than that.

You'll get a Maillard browning effect with the addition of powdered milk. If it isn't an item you keep in your pantry, adding a teaspoon of sugar to your pastry dough will achieve lovely browning.