🔕 🔔

use of trivet in bottom of canner

I found a small canner and have a silicone trivet that fits in the bottom, but it's solid--no cut-outs. Will this work OK or do I need one w/cut-outs to ensure even heating and water circulation? - thanks

asked by kate over 4 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I would use one with cut outs to allow the water to evenly boil

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

A traditional canning rack that fits your pot would be even better because it allows water to circulate all around your jars, which is important to ensure all organisms are killed and that you get a good vacuum seal. No trivet can equal the performance of a proper canning rack.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I agree totally with Diana, but in a pinch if you need a trivet (very important -- you don't want the jars resting right on the bottom of the pan as it increases the likelihood they will shatter) you can take the rings from canning lids and tie them together to make a trivet.

I think you really need a proper rack to hold the jars, lest they bounce around and possibly break in the boiling water bath.