Wondering if any of you have made an aigre-doux using whole mandarins / clementines (sliced, including the peel).

I found an enticing recipe that calls for segments; the book (an amazing resource, Paul Virant's "The Preservation Kitchen") also includes a recipe for Meyer lemon aigre-doux, using sliced lemons. The slices are so much prettier, plus they'd add a nice "bite." Your thoughts? Thanks, everyone. ;o)

asked about 5 years ago

David

I have made the meyer lemon one. I can't imagine that slicing across the mandarins and including the peel would be harmful in any way. The author of a blog I read made the mandarin orange recipe using segments, she also made a version using white wine and champagne vinegar and she had some thoughts about using smaller jars etc. Anyway here is her blog
http://200birdies.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/sea-scallops-with-orange-aigre-doux-and-chives/