🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Grain-Free Banana Bread

E370b0b0 1c97 40e1 9fb0 3b0dbb082578  grain free banana bread ii

I have a question about the recipe "Grain-Free Banana Bread " from shauna.ahern. oops.... my question was about the use of arrowroot powder in the recipe. I always think of it as a thickener. Is the amount (60 g) correct?

asked by sticksnscones about 4 years ago

The arrowroot might be there to bind to the water in the bananas and lighten the texture of the bread, otherwise, the bread might have a dnese,gummy texture. It's just a theory, but I think that's why there's 60g of it.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

It is there as a starch -- a necessary balance for all the flours to get a good result. Don't omit it and disregard all prior training of it being a thickener. In other circumstances it absolutely is a thickening agent and likely performs an overall service in the recipe that is analogous. All GF flour blends require some starch to be successful.