Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Venison chops

I've had two venison chops in my freezer for awhile now and I figure I should probably use them. I have next to no experience with venison outside of a stew I made once. I've seen plenty of recipes on here for venison steaks; is it okay to use those, or is there a better recipe/technique specific to chops?

asked by Meaghan F over 3 years ago

I believe there is a good recipe on here for Venison chops.
Venison has virtually no fat and will dry out easily. Most people choose to eat it rare. If you want it more medium rare after searing turn your oven down quite low (200-225) and check often with your thermometer. Red wine reductions with black pepper, juniper berries, red and black fruits are common sauces.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I agree with the suggestion for juniper berries but I would treat as a braised meat almost cacciatoria style. In Umbria where the word for deer would be "daino" they do it a number of ways of doing it which I think of as "daino-myte". Brown the chops first and go to work on your braise ingredients. In addition to the juniper berries I would suggest rosemary (in whole branches), porcini mushrooms and God, even black truffles. Tomato is optional but with venison I tend to avoid it. Without tomato you can even add prunes to it. Maybe a bit of port wine.