can you make whipped cream with whole milk and a whisk or fork

heavy cream is too expensive for my family to afford, and all i have is whole milk, if it is possible to make whipped cream with whole milk, please find me a recipe or tell me how.

asked by muffy about 5 years ago

Never tried this but found an option on chow.com (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/513409#36344650
"add two tablespoons of nonfat dry milk powder to a cup of low- or nonfat cottage cheese and whirr in a blender for four or five minutes. This heavy cream substitute works in a surprising number of recipes. And you can even whip it. It doesn't form stiff peaks, but it does form soft ones. I made a rhubarb fool with this substitute recently (using nonfat cottage cheese) and I'm not sure I would have known the difference if I hadn't made it myself.

lloreen

I don't think it will have enough fat content to whip. But you can make delicious home made yoghurt out of your whole milk and add honey or fruit puree for a great, rich dessert! All you need is a starter culture (one mini plain yoghurt with active cultures).

Haydee

Hola lloreen... Can you tell us how to make it ;o) It sounds really yummy ;o)~ Thanks!

PazzoNico

You can also make "ricotta" with some plain old vinegar or lemon juice.

I remember trying that once when I was MUCH younger. It didn't work then, and I'm pretty sure it won't work now. Heavy cream does come in small containers, and perhaps you can swing for one of those to give you the luxurious topping for your dessert? You didn't mention what you were using it for, so it's hard to suggest something that might fill in other than the real thing.

Not sure if this helps, but if you can swing a small (8 oz.) container of heavy cream - around here, usually about $1.50 in supermarket, but sometimes on sale for closer to $1 - it will whip up to yield a much greater volume. Don't know exact amount, but I'd guess around 3 times the amount.

FWIW, if you're a novice at whipping with a whisk, you'll achieve much better volume if you use an electric mixer -- even a hand-held model.

yup, you can't make whipped cream out of whole milk, sadly. but you CAN make frothed milk. Heat till steamy, then either whisk the hell out of it, or stick it in a milk frother thingy, or pour it really fast from one vessel to another. Spoon onto your hot beverage of choice. You can also do this with chocolate milk, because CHOCOLATE.

If you do ever splurge for the cream, chill your cream, bowl and beaters till very cold. Then whip it. Whip it good. I found this really cool video showing Simon Hopkinson whipping his cream with an ice cube-filled whisk - such a cool idea! I tried it but my cubes are the half-elipse kind and they came flying out of the whisk. That was fun. not.

Love your description of testing the hack of ice cubes inside beater whisks. Flying ice cubes! Funny, but I'm sure not.

woops here it is. http://youtu.be/m-yTIWLndMQ...

irinaleibo

You can whip 1/2 & 1/2 if you have any of that. Comes out very well. It is important to chill the whisk and bowl first.
Good luck!
irina

Jenny Maria

If you have a Bamix stickblender you Can make form of nonfat milk, but since a Bamix is quite expencive ( in Denmark ), I gusse you do'nt have one

I remember trying evaporated milk (canned) as a whipping cream substitute. Sure enough, it's online -- here's one, with photos. Easy to do and should be economical. http://www.wikihow.com...

Reizaal Abdul Aziz

raw milk from the udders will separate into 1/3 cream at the top, and 2/3 whole milk at the bottom. the cream will be whipped producing heavy cream and buttermilk. if you keep whipping the heavy cream, it will turn into a little bit more buttermilk, and plain butter. whip the butter with icy water to 'wash' out all the buttermilk. if you need to turn whole milk into cream, melt (just) and whip 100g of unsalted butter into 3/4 cup of whole milk.

Nilakshi

I guess I am late in answering this question. But technically no, you cannot really make whipped cream directly from whole milk, until and unless you use gelatin and stuff like that. But, the good news is you have whole milk, so you can extract cream from the milk and then whip it. SImplest way is to boil the milk at low heat. Once it boils and rises, switch off the gas and let the milk cool down. Transfer it in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight. Next morning you will see a thick layer of cream on the top. Scoop it up and store in an air tight container in the fridge. You may need to get more cream from more milk. Once you have enough cream, try to drain any residual milk or liquid. Then you can whip the cream :)