Whats the best thing to do with leftover Roast Pork Shoulder?

asked by technosmash over 7 years ago

If you have access to good Mexican seasonings, tacos or burritos would work. A hominy (pozole) stew perhaps? A cuban sandwich?

It's a great ingredient, so you have lots of possibilties. Personally I would be tempted to riff on Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich just as a total insult to everything Philadelphia.

I'd shred it and use it in thirshfeld's http://www.food52.com/recipes....

If you go to that recipe and read the comments, you'll see that I've made it many times and added a lot of comments. It's easily one of my top-10 food52 recipes in 2010. ;o)

Pierino likes lo mein!

Jon Palmer

If there is an accompanying sauce of any kind, shredded meats and their stewy sauces are a great accompaniment to eggs. Nothing like the great, savory goodness of a good slow-cooked meat with its juices or sauce with an egg dropped in the middle and "poached" in it.

Kayb

Pork quesadillas. Egg rolls. Cuban sandwiches. In a frittata with eggs. Seasoning a pot of beans. Leftover pork shoulder is good in almost anything, except possibly ice cream. :)

casa-giardino

Saute' some hot red and green peppers and add in shredded pork meat. Add some black, cured olives and serve.

jenmmcd

Depending on how the pork is seasoned.... Dice some onion and lightly carmelize. Add cubed sweet potato and some cumin and s + p. Once potatoes are soft, add leftover pork. Cook a fried egg to add to the top. Serve with some hot sauce or a bit of green chili. I like the sweet of the potatoes with the salty pork and egg.

wtbryce

Pork fried rice (per Bittman recipe -- http://query.nytimes.com...)

And I second:

1) cuban sandwich (pressed on Italian bread with prosciutto, swiss cheese, and I like pickled peppers); and
2) posole (epicurious has good recipes for both green and red and I'm sure here as well.

prettyPeas

I'll definitely be making the chinese celery pork lo mein because of these answers, but I'd like to add that some of my favorite leftovers from roast pork shoulder involve crisping it up a little bit, such as on a broccoli raab/pulled pork pizza or some sort of carnitas imitation (okay, usually nachoes in the oven). Also, sandwiches with shredded pork, reheated in the oven can also develop the delicious crispness--maybe with some mushrooms, a little provalone, and some bitter greens.

askann

Maybe enchiladas with tomatillo-based sauce.

healthierkitchen

http://www.food52.com/recipes....

Just made this with turkey but it would be great with pork too! Delicious.