A friend of mine gave me a bag of Irish wholemeal flour- extra course. Mixed some into my waffle batter - outstanding. What else would you do with it? It's really really course.

hardlikearmour November 30, 2010

How about Irish brown bread. http://dinersjournal.blogs...

prettyPeas
prettyPeas November 30, 2010

Irish Brown Bread is traditional, but I'm not much of a baker, so I don't have a tried and true recipe. It definitely benefits from the coarse meal, though.

hardlikearmour November 30, 2010

What if you tried a riff on oatmeal scones, using the coarse flour in place of oatmeal?

Nora
Nora November 30, 2010

Irish soda bread? Wheat meal crackers? Sounds wonderful, whatever you do.

betteirene
betteirene November 30, 2010

How can I find some friends like yours? First eggplant, now this--in the same week!

"I know. . .let's give it to mrslarkin. . .she'll cook anything!" : )

Have you done a search on the King Arthur website? There's also thefreshloaf.com, which isn't exactly a recipe goldmine, but I've learned a lot of tips and tricks there.

BEER BREAD: Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan. In a large bowl, stir together 1 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 c. coarse grain flour (Irish style, if possible), 1/3 c. granulated or brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1tablespoon baking powder. Pour in a 16 ounce bottle of Guinness and stir well, but gently--do not overmix. Spread into pan, place in oven and immediately reduce to heat to 375. Bake 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350, bake another 20 minutes.

susan g November 30, 2010

This flour sounds like Graham flour, so try searching under that name. I've used Graham flour for muffins primarily -- very branny and good.

mrslarkin November 30, 2010

Thanks all, great ideas!

And yes, betteirene, i get lots of food gifts....It's good to be the Sconelady!

hardlikearmour December 1, 2010

mrslarkin, let us know what you do with it. i'm curious to find out.

usuba dashi
usuba dashi December 1, 2010

If it is the real stuff, it is not like graham flour or typical wheat flour found in the USA. Real Irish Weaton bread is the best thing to make with it. We would make this almost everyday, using old milk we had allowed to culture, much like buttermilk. I have never seen this flour in the US and would like to know where I can possibly get some. I can smell it baking now.

mrslarkin December 2, 2010

usuba dashi, I got it from a friend who traveled to Ireland over the Thanksgiving holiday. It is the real stuff. I think some Irish stores here in the US would carry similar products.

I will let you all know what I do with it. Thanks for all the comments!

obleak1
obleak1 December 2, 2010

You might try a fairly simple Irish Wheaten Bread, easy to make and delicious. My attempt at re-creating the Irish Wheaten Bread at Tesco, which I love.
2 cups self raising flour
2 cups Irish Wheaten flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/1/2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup cooking oil

Mix dry ingredients. Make a well dump in the wet. Bake at 350 for about an hour (in loaf pan or free form). Cool, slather with butter and eat.