🔕 🔔

What,if anything, should I season a very good quality skirt steak with before grilling?

For a simple dinner party. I am serving roasted root veggies and salad with the steak.

asked by Food odyssea almost 4 years ago

I personally find that Excellent meat benefits from very little. Pepper, Salt, and Garlic are my staples. Occasionally I'll do a marinade or a rub of some sort - but I like the flavor of the beautiful beef to be center stage.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Salt!

Ff4cd9f0 157d 4005 91d8 86ed521de349  img00020 20100410 1015

I only used good sea salt. When using a not so great quality piece of meat I would marinate it in a little soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar and garlic. Good luck!

I do like to let the flavor of the steak shine through when it is a good cut but I also find that a little seasoning helps. In addition to kosher salt and black pepper, I very lightly dust steaks with garlic and onion powders. Then, let the steak sit at room temp for about an hour.

Salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges. That's it. It's kind of a Tuscan thing. Hopefully you are grilling this "very good quality" steak over a real wood fire and not some wimpy gas apparatus.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I agree that S & P is enough, but if you want a rub I like a mix of S & P, a little sugar, garlic, chili flakes, porcini powder, and a little EVOO.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I think that skirt, flap, flank, tri-tip are enormously flavored with a little help with wosrtchire, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, etc. - some type of marinade besides salt and pepper. This type of meat is fine on its own but it takes on so much flavor easily.