Gratin help?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a brussel sprouts gratin recipe that uses gruyere but no cream. Milk is okay...but my guest specifically requested no cream. I know this might sound silly, but can I just sub milk in place of cream in any gratin recipe? Or does anyone have a good recipe they can link?

• Posted by: skittle
  • November 6, 2013

Risa
Risa November 6, 2013

Whole milk might do okay. What step do you use the milk? It won't thicken like a heavier cream will.

Maedl November 6, 2013

Does the recipe contain any potatoes? If not, maybe you could add some because the starch from the potatoes would help thicken the gratin.

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 6, 2013

Evaporated milk will make it rich & creamy.

Pegeen November 6, 2013

You could also make a roux (half butter, half flour) and add the hot milk to it, but that will make it more rich and it seems that is what your friend is trying to avoid.
http://food52.com/blog...
You could also add a little extra gruyere or whichever cheese you're using to thicken things up.

skittle
skittle November 6, 2013

I can do a roux-she's just got a weird aversion to cream...sigh.
I initially thought of doing like a mac and cheese recipe-then subbing the sprouts for the noodles. I just don't want to mess it up. I guess I'm just not sure of the proper proportions?

Declan
Declan November 6, 2013

You can get potato starch in most stores. The benefit is in the taste. Far better than cornstarch so ... Milk and potato starch would be my suggestion.