🔕 🔔

Hollandaise is no joke, what am I doing wrong?

I have a double boiler setup, but is it necessary to use a whole stick of butter if I'm just making one portion? I used two egg yolks, and 1/2 stick of some Presidente butter. I skimmed off as much of the solids from the melted butter as I could. But some basic direction would be well appreciated from the Food52 cult.

asked by James Durazzo almost 4 years ago

30d29d6e ad6b 43d4 877f 543611313cd6  img 7763

Thank you, your husband is a lucky dude.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Very good advice from Chris here. That's how I would do it as well. You are making an emulsion that you don't want to turn into scrambled eggs---which by the way can happen very quickly.

Basically that's what happened to me. The double boiler method scrambled my yolks. Despite having the heat on the lowest setting, they still scrambled. I think pulling them on and off of the heat while continuously whisking would be a better method

James, I once watched the other James, the one named Peterson (author of the book SAUCES) pepare a hollandaise directly over an open flame, whisking madly. I couldn't believe it. And then he turned it into sauce maltaise by adding blood orange juice. If you are serious about sauce it's a great book to own.

Sauce maltaise, maybe I'll try experimenting with that. Thanks for the tip. Maybe some grilled Trevisano with the sauce maltaise?

Traditionally it goes with asparagus. Good luck!