A question about a recipe: Cheesy Mashed Potato Puffs

I have a question about the recipe "Cheesy Mashed Potato Puffs" from em-i-lis. If you leave out the bacon (vegetarian), is there something to substitute, or will it be good anyway?

700643a6 9c81 4fce 9c43 7f57484c156d  dsc 7392
Recipe question for: Cheesy Mashed Potato Puffs

PazzoNico
PazzoNico November 16, 2013

Probably be good anyway.
But if you're looking for a stand-in, smoked paprika would be an appropriate (albeit obvious) choice. But I might take a different direction; toasted and ground caraway or cumin seed (both equally compatible with potatoes and cheese).

Oberstdackel
Oberstdackel November 16, 2013

The bacon is included for the balance it will add for its saltiness. I do not see how an anise-liquorice like flavour would substitute (cummin & Caraway).
Perhaps you cold try crispy-fried salted carrot slices- I know of a person who eats these as a bacon substitute sand they are not too bad a replacement.

PazzoNico
PazzoNico November 16, 2013

Oberstdackel: I meant one or the other (not both). I say cumin seed because it does have a smoky flavor when it is freshly toasted and ground. And caraway, though it does have a very slight anise flavor, it also has a slight smokiness when toasted. Of course neither will "replace" or "substitute" bacon (nothing does, no matter what anybody says), but it would be an interesting "stand-in". And for added saltiness, you could just add a pinch of salt to taste, but Gruyere has a good amount on its own. Honestly, I think the bacon here serves more as a textural component rather than lending a big "punch" of pork flavor.
Awesome idea with the fried carrot by the way. I like that; sweetness, texture, saltiness.