🔕 🔔

Need a cake recommendation

Making a cake for an uncle as a surprise. I want something that's fairly traditional but that will make him feel very special. I'm comfortable baking but not a wizard.

asked by missb503 almost 4 years ago

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

Whenever I need a new cake recipe I turn to marthastewart.com.Lots of great easy cakes there.

5931bcf1 b22d 41db bdb0 e856dde60d58  image

Check in Food52 Sdebrango's tender layer yellow cake recipe and her chocolate ganached frosting which won the frosting contest a few days ago.

Amanda's dump-it cake gets a lot of press around here. It's super simple and foolproof. I like the idea of using the contest winning chocolate ganache frosting. I make a very similar salted caramel ganache frosting that is a true winner. If you don't want to do the yellow cake, i usually pair it with a chocolate cake. I use this one: http://m.foodnetwork.com...
If you want something more seasonal, I've also had great luck with the applesauce cake with caramel glaze. Te faulknerian spice cake has also been on my list of to-tries

P.S. This question has come up a bunch. For more suggestions, you might search the hotline.

This one is a long-standing family favorite with quite a story behind it:
http://food52.com/recipes...

You can also try a cake i just added which i served for dessery tonight. It is a butter cake and no icing is needed. I served it with rasberries and whipped cream. Not sure if it is "traditional" though since it has no icing. Check Norwegian Butter Cake.

The Faulknerian Family Spice Cake is a wonderful fall cake. warmly spicy with a magic frosting that is unbelievably easy! http://food52.com/recipes...

The only cake that qualifies as a birthday cake in my book is a layered chocolate cake. You can dress it up by adding a contrast flavoring such as orange zest or ginger. Then, apply a dark chocolate icing and decorate with curls of orange peel and shaved chocolate or edible flowers.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Another vote for sdebrango's Tender Yellow Cake (stuffing the ballot box would be more like it, it's so good): http://food52.com/recipes... family favorite with chocolate ganache for the makings of Boston Cream Pie.