🔕 🔔

Should I use sweet onion or yellow onion for latkes?

asked by lberson over 6 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I was listening to The Splendid Table today and she was saying that for cooking we should use yellow (or white or red) because they hold up texturally better and save the sweets for salads, pickles, and the like

Germans definitely use white or yellow. Hope they are delicious!!!

White or yellow. Save your sweets for uncooked applications. According to Russ Parson's in "How to Pick a Peach", yellow onions have the highest concentration of sweet flavor compounds, they just have a lot more of the sulfurous compounds that are "sharp" as well.

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

yes

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I think you want a little sharpness - yellow onion.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I think it depends on what type of latkes you're going for - potato pancakes lend themselves to many incarnations. For traditional ones, definitely yellow onions (pretty sure my great grandma - whose latkes were the stuff of legend - didn't grow up eating Vidalias in the shtetl.) But for more modern, eclectic versions, I'd say use whichever onions seem flavor-appropriate.

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

Exactly what amysarah said. Yellow onions for traditional latkes. I won't argue with amysarah about which of our grandmother's made the best latkes, but I bet they both used the same traditional ingredients.