1960s Turtle Cookies recipe?

I'm wondering if any other boomer Food52 community members has a recipe for Turtle Cookies. The recipe appeared in a small pamphlet and included a brown sugar butter cookie dough placed atop 5 pecan pieces baked, and when cool, topped with caramel sauce and chocolate sauce. It was my Mother's favorite (as is the Turtle candy) and I'd like to surprise her with batch this Christmas (well, most of a batch -- hee hee ;). Many thanks!

asked by arcane54 over 4 years ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

This one was a Pillsbury Bake Off winner in the 50s...could this be it?
http://www.pillsbury.com...

arcane54

Thanks inpatskitchen. I found that one too. But the turtle cookies we made had caramel between the cookie and the chocolate.

Laura

I'm a boomer and this was my mom's. Could this be what you're looking for?
For the crust/cookie: 2c. all-purpose flour; 1/2 c butter, softened; 1c. packed brown sugar; 1 c pecan halves
For the caramel layer: 2/3 c. butter; 1/2.c brown sugar
For the cholcolate layer: 1 c. chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F. In 3 qt mixing bowl, combine crust/cookie ingredients. Mix at medium speed until particles are fine. Pat firmly into ungreased 13x9x2 pan. Sprinkle pecans evenly over unbaked crust. Set aside. Prepare caramel layer: In heavy 1 qt. saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until entire surface of mixture gegins to boil. Boil 1/2-1 min, stirring constantly. Pour evenly over pecans and crust/cookie. Bake near center of oven for 18-22 min or until crust is light golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow chiips to melt slightly (2-3 min). Swirl as they melt. Cool completely. Cut into bars.

arcane54

Those sound great, Laura! but it wasn't a bar cookie. The search continues....