🔕 🔔

I'm looking at a recipe that is very specific about using mint oil (as opposed to peppermint oil). I've never heard of mint oil and cannot lo

Has anyone ever used it?

asked by Chef Lisa over 4 years ago

I suppose the recipe doesn’t include the Linnean name for the essential oil, does it? That’s the only way you could be sure you have the right plant and oil. As far as I can tell, your choices are peppermint, spearmint or bergamot. I have used both peppermint and spearmint--and bergamot via Earl Grey Tea. I’d just use the essential oil from whatever mint you like the best.

nashama

There is a big difference between the two. I have a brownie recipe that has a similar stipulation and it makes a difference! That said, the good news is that McCormick makes a pure mint extract that should be available at most large chain grocery stores. Hope that helps.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Hi Chef Lisa - What are you making? The recipe is vague if it only stipulates using mint oil. I would bet they are indicating the use of peppermint, Mentha x piperita.

Chef Lisa

Well, I ditched the recipe when I couldn't find mint oil. It was a chocolate candy. It also said no extracts or alcohol. I'll try to relocate it. (May have shredded it)!

If it’s a chocolate candy, a peppermint oil would be fine. Peppermint and chocolate is a marriage made in heaven. But I’d be willing to try the bergamot or spearmint to see how they taste. I’ll bet either one would be lovely.