Extract vs. Flavoring

Can you explain what the difference is between extracts and flavoring? I want to make mint chocolate chip ice cream, which I tried to last night. I used peppermint flavoring and it was terrible. Do I use peppermint extract or MINT flavoring, which I noticed is different than peppermint. What types of foods do you use flavorings in? and extracts?

UltimateFishy
UltimateFishy September 22, 2011

Extracts are natural flavorings and tend to have a shorter shelf life. Flavorings are artificial flavorings and tend to have a longer shelf life.

Soozll
Soozll September 23, 2011

Peppermint is a specific flavor in the mint family. Most products that feature peppermint say so, specifically. Otherwise, a variety of spearment is used for flavoring in products that are labeled simply as "mint". I think you might be disappointed because you used peppermint instead of just "mint" in the ice cream you made. You could retry your ice cream with a mint extract or flavoring, or maybe try to steep some fresh mint in a simple syrup (though the water might make the ice cream to icey) or in the cream base to use in your ice cream. You might have to experiment to see how the flavor and color develops. You might try heating a small amount of the cream called for in the recipe to steep the fresh mint and dilute it with the rest of the cream base until you reach the flavor and color you are hoping to get. Just a thought..I'm not an ice cream expert!

kkthuringer
kkthuringer December 19, 2011

Are there other differences between peppermint extract and pepermint flavorings. I have a recipe that I have made have made for years. The last couple of year it has failed. Would flavoring make melted almond bark, unsweetened chocolate and chocolate chips changed texture? This year and last year when I put in the flavoring is made the mixture solid not smooth - so I couldn't pour it into cups. Would this be from the flavoring vs extract?

kkthuringer
kkthuringer December 19, 2011